Skip to main content

More about Temco

Get in touch

Temco Mission Statement

Care

Recognising the needs of others and considering them in our actions.

Respect

Treating each other as equals in an open inclusive manner.

Responsibility

Acceptance, standing up for one’s actions and being accountable for them.

Collaboration

Working for a common cause based on trust and diversity of opinion.

The History of Temco

Harold Smith manufactures wire and strands at Trafalgar Colliery. Fine stainless steel wire was produced here to be used as heating elements for airmen’s flying suits in WWI.

New factory at Stowfield, alongside Lydbrook Junction station. The Lydbrook, Cable Works, erected in 1912 by the same Harold J Smith. In WW1 the Works produced 70,000 miles of cable for field communication. WW1 Employed 650 people making cable for field telephones, it possessed a machine for making lead alloy tube needed for PLUTO (Petroleum Lines UnderThe Ocean), which allowed fuel to be supplied to the Allied invasion force on the Continent from Britain. Mr Smith seeking to promote the welfare of others a generous and benevolent employer who in September 1918 built a spacious dining hall, cloak rooms and bathrooms and lavatories.

Smith leaves the Cable Works due to financial difficulties in post-war slump. Subsequent take-over by Edison Swan Electric Company (1925)

Smith founds Temco below Offa’s Dyke making fine stainless steel and nickel-chrome wire.

1947 Incorporation under Companies Act 1929.

1950 Introduced electroplating of silver and nickel onto copper wire.

1956 Acquired by BICC – one of the world’s largest cable makers.

First producer of nickel plated copper wire drawn through diamond dies.

1985 Relocation to present site at Cinderford.

1986 First wire manufacturer in Europe to use double-twist bunching for the manufacture of Nickel plated copper true concentric and unilay strands.

1987 First European wire producer to achieve ISO 9002 certification.

1991 Queen’s Award for export

1996 Acquisition by Leonische Drahtwerke AG

2001 ISO 14001 achieved

2007 Installation of Europe’s only 27% nickel-plating line.

2010 Installation of state of the art multi-wire drawing and stranding technology.

2015 LEONI IM integration

2016 New ERP System (Navision 2016),  new 16 end Multi-wire machine upgrade from 2010

Acquisition by Deutsche Invest Mittelstand GmbH, Carve out from LEONI AG after 27 years, TEMCO Wire Products Ltd our new name